The use of voice commands is growing by the day. Almost 50% of people with a mobile device use at least one voice command each day – and that’s not counting the use of smart home devices. Devices like Amazon’s Alexa.
Launched in 2014, Alexa was one of the first virtual assistants readily available for use in the home. Since then, Amazon has reported over 100 million Alexa-enabled devices sold – all with voice command capability.
Whether you want to check the weather, look at your calendar, or dim the lights, there’s an Alexa command for that. Let’s take a look at what Alexa can do right now.
Alexa Funny Commands
Part of the joy of owning one of the many Alexa-enabled devices is being able to have fun with the voice commands. The programmers at Amazon knew that their customers would want to play with Alexa’s capabilities. This virtual assistant has some cool, quirky, entertaining responses to these funny commands. You may be surprised by what Amazon Alexa can do, including having a great sense of humour!
1. Alexa, sing me a song.
2. Alexa, who you gonna call?
3. Alexa, tell me a joke.
5. Alexa, tell me a joke. Alexa, who is the fairest of them all?
4. Alexa, I am your father.
6. Alexa, what is the meaning of life?
7. Alexa, Marco!
8. Alexa, do you dream?
9. Alexa, which comes first: the chicken or the egg?
10. Alexa, open the pod bay doors.
11. Alexa, surely you can’t be serious.
12. Alexa, don’t mention the war.
13. Alexa, Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
14. Alexa, drum roll, please.
Alexa Music Commands
As a virtual assistant, Alexa is highly skilled when it comes to music commands. From sourcing new music for you to listen to, to having a variety of Alexa Spotify commands (or several other streaming services, depending on your preference), Alexa is able to respond to your music needs. Here are some of the most useful voice commands Alexa can perform for music.
15. Alexa, play some music.
16. Alexa, play something I haven’t heard.
17.Alexa, play the song that goes <lyrics>.
18. Alexa, what song is this? (for a song already playing)
17. Alexa, play the song that goes <lyrics>.
18. Alexa, what song is this? (for a song already playing)
19. Alexa, wake me up with music at <time> (can be customised to repeat daily, weekly, etc.).
20. Alexa, play some <mood> music (relaxed, angry, energetic, happy, upbeat, laid back, sad, romantic, etc.).
21. Alexa, play brand new music.
22. Alexa, play <song/artist/album>.
23. Alexa, turn the volume up/down.
24. Alexa, pause/play.
25. Alexa, play <music streaming service/radio station> (Spotify, Pandora, NPR, etc.).
Alexa Multi-Room Commands
If you have more than one Alexa-enabled device, it is possible to link them together in groups and use a series of multi-room commands to control them. These devices could include one or more Echo units or Echo Dot speakers. These Alexa commands are excellent for playing music in different locations – try some of these commands for sweet sounds all through your home.
26. Alexa, play music everywhere.
27. Alexa, play <artist> upstairs/downstairs/in the living room (exact command phrase depends on the chosen speaker or group name/location).
28. Alexa, pause music <speaker/group/location>
29. Alexa, volume 5 <speaker/group/location>.
30. Alexa, play <music genre> in <speaker/group/location>.
31. Alexa, play (radio station) in <speaker/group/location>.
Alexa Netflix Commands
Compatibility with streaming services has always been a priority for Amazon. Netflix is one of the top TV and movie streaming services worldwide. Being able to harness Alexa with Fire TV Stick commands is important for creating a fully-controllable home environment – and Alexa commands for Netflix are easy to master. Take a look!
32. Alexa, open Netflix.
34. Alexa, scroll <up/down>.
36. Alexa, select.
38. Alexa, rewind (optional – by <number of minutes>).
41. Alexa, show me <genre> on Netflix.
33. Alexa, watch <movie title> on Netflix.
35. Alexa, move <left/right>.
37. Alexa, back.
39. Alexa, pause/play.
40. Alexa, next episode.
Alexa Light Hue Commands
One great way to create different atmospheres and moods in the home is through the use of light. Through a partnership with Philips Hue, there are Alexa commands available to control the lighting, change colours, and create the right environment for your preference. Alexa can even incorporate the lights into timers and alarms!
42. Alexa, turn on/off all the lights.
44. Alexa, dim the lights.
46. Alexa, brighten/dim the lights in <location> to <desired percentage>.
48. Alexa, trigger party time (creates a colour loop).
43. Alexa, make the <location (kitchen, living room, etc.)> brighter.
45. Alexa, make my lights warmer/cooler.
47. Alexa, turn the <location> light <colour>.
49. Alexa, blink the lights when my timer runs out.
50. Alexa, turn on my lights when my alarm goes off.
Alexa Thermostat Commands
A fully-automated home is just around the corner, and Alexa is the virtual assistant helping to make that a reality. With smart thermostats such as the Nest, controlling the temperature inside your home is as simple as speaking out loud. Each smart thermostat has its own set of Alexa commands for that particular unit, but these commands should work with any smart thermostat.
51. Alexa, set <thermostat name> to X degrees.
53. Alexa, lower <thermostat name> by X degrees.
55. Alexa, what is the thermostat set to?
57. Alexa, set <thermostat name> to cool.
52. Alexa, raise <thermostat name> by X degrees.
54. Alexa, what is the temperature inside?
56. Alexa, set <thermostat name> to heat.
58. Alexa, set <thermostat name> to auto.
59. Alexa, set <thermostat name> to off.
Alexa Calendar & Alarm Commands
Keeping on top of our busy schedules is a priority, one that Amazon programmers knew their customers would want to use Alexa for. With Alexa commands for a personal calendar and for alarms, the user is able to establish their daily schedule with ease – just by asking Alexa to set an alarm or organise an event. Take a look at some of the commands you can use to keep yourself organised with Alexa.
60. Alexa, add an event to my calendar.
62. Alexa, delete my <time> event.
64. Alexa, move my <event> to <time/date>.
66. Alexa, invite <name> to <event> (person’s name must be available in contacts for invite to be sent).
69. Alexa, what’s my calendar look like today?
71. Alexa, set an alarm for <time of day>.
73. Alexa, snooze (for a 9 minute snooze).
74. Alexa, wake me up to <radio station/news service> at <time>.
61. Alexa, add <event> to my calendar for <day> at <time>.
63. Alexa, cancel my <date> event.
65. Alexa, schedule <event> with <person’s name>.
67. Alexa, when is my next event?
68. Alexa, what’s on my calendar?
70. Alexa, what’s on my calendar on <day> at <time>.
72. Alexa, set a repeating alarm for every <day of week> at <time>.
75. Alexa, turn off (when alarm sounds).
Hidden Alexa Commands
Amazon programmers like to keep their customers on their toes – and they have included a series of hidden Alexa commands, or Easter Eggs, to be discovered. If asked, Alexa will tell you some of the hidden commands it can perform. Here are some fun, useful, and unusual commands to try with your virtual assistant.
76. Alexa, how many roads must a man walk down?
78. Alexa, who’s the boss?
80. Alexa, what is the meaning of life?
82. Alexa, to be or not to be?
84. Alexa, random number (optional – ‘between X and Y’).
86. Alexa, tell me a riddle.
88. Alexa, I’m bored.
90. Alexa, what is love?
92. Alexa, how much do you weigh?
94. Alexa, what do you want to be when you grow up?
97. Alexa, what does the earth weigh?
99. Alexa, roll two d20 plus 5
77. Alexa, is this the real life?
79. Alexa, all your base are belong to us.
81. Alexa, what is the sound of one hand clapping?
83. Alexa, random fact.
85. Alexa, tell me something interesting.
87. Alexa, tell me a tongue twister.
89. Alexa, flip a coin.
91. Alexa, where do you live?
93. Alexa, how tall are you?
95. Alexa, are you alive?
96. Alexa, how old are you?
98. Alexa, roll the dice
100. Alexa, is the tooth fairy/Santa real?
32 Funniest Alexa Commands Infographic
Tap the photo to open hi-res version.
Alexa, close article 😄
Day by day, Alexa’s capabilities are growing. This virtual assistant can be used with different devices and is always learning more. What Alexa can do now is phenomenal – and what Alexa will be able to do in the future is bound to be exciting, helpful, and revolutionary for voice command abilities.
We’ll update this list as we go through this journey together! 😊
Here’s a cool article I wrote on how to keep your phone healthy:
The PBR Editorial Team takes care that all the articles on the website are up to date and relevant to your interests. If any article you stumble upon seems outdated, leave us a comment and we’ll get to it! We’re already doing the best we can to keep everything nice and neat, but our schedule might have missed something so do let us know!